Wellness programs are the diverse wellness activities an employer plans for the workers in the organization. These activities are targeted at improving the workers physical and mental health state to allow optimum output at work. Secondarily, it is important that these programs are put in place to press in the importance of improved behavior which reduces bad health habits.
These exercises may include but not limited to an educational and vocational seminar, retreats, workouts, health evaluation and medical checkup, etc.
Reasons for wellness programs
- Reduced operational cost: wellness programs in companies reduces the operational cost in terms of medical insurance bills of employee that will amass due to sickness and leave of absence for medical reasons.
- Improved productivity: the wellness programs are aimed to improve on the productivity of the employees by improving their health standing. A healthy employee can work at an optimum physical and mental state thus improving the productivity and expected a performance of such employee.
These programs offer a wide range of activities which may include stress management and personal life balance to work stress.
- Health insurances: the companies also provide for its employee’s low insurance premium for their medical insurances. This will take off the constant worry of the workers off the teeming increase in the medical bill.
- Health and management seminars: wellness programs could be linked to management benefits like assistance schemes. These seminars explain the reason for wellness and how their wellness is important to themselves and the company likewise.
- Health and safety training: as far as wellness go, the safety of workers is also paramount. The right amount of personal protective equipment should be known by every worker. This knowledge will help workers to know what to do and what not to do in a time of emergency.
These training also preaches on the hazards and harm that could happen in the workplace. It also explains the preventive measure that is already put in place to prevent those hazards from occurring.
Examples of wellness programs
While other companies outsource programs like the wellness program, others incorporate these programs to make It an effective and integrated part of their company. Examples of these fitness programs may include;
Fitness center: tech companies like Google are of the habit of having fitness centers in their organizations. These will give employees the chance to make proper use of their short breaks for their fitness. Most especially, this is targeted at those who work early and have tight schedules and are unable to fit in their fitness exercises
Yoga classes: meditation and yoga classes have been described as a good way to refocus and be more productive at work. This practice is recommended to people for stress relieve which often comes from dealing with deadlines and other forms of non-work related activities.
Weight and fitness challenges: these challenges have been put in place buy some companies to encourage employees who are hoping to keep in shape.
On a final note
Wellness programs are becoming important for companies. Its advantages are through the roof for both the employer and the employee alike. Choosing the right fitness program is important and effective for the growth and development of the company. The good news is, these wellness programs can be outsourced.